Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Parenting-Mary style







Most of you know me fairly well I think and know that my kids are my world and I cant go a day without talking about them, even when they are little punks! The other day at work a co-worker was shocked that Sal and I have 6 kids. She asked the usual questions, boys or girls? do they all have the same father? (WTF by the way, LOL) etc.. But then she asked me how Sal and I did it? I honestly stood there and thought hmm, im not really sure to be honest, LOL.. Im sure luck had something to do with it, but I also think our way of parenting helped as well. I have a few rules to my parenting and here they are;



*Im not your friend, im your mother-this means my opinion is that of a concerned parent that looks for your best interest. Im not your girl, bff, etc..



*I WILL follow through with what I say, you best believe- If I say dont touch in the store or we will leave and you dont listen, we leave... That will "learn" ya.



*The rules are NON NEGOTIABLE-no video games until the weekend, mean just that



*I will love you unconditionally-ALWAYS and forever. This doesnt mean I will always agree with what you do, but it does mean that you will always be loved.



*I expect you to behave when im not around-This means when you are out on your own, not only should you think WWJD, you should be thinking WWMD?



*If I make a mistake, I have to say sorry too-THIS is hard for me because I am a control freak, BUT I have to swallow my pride and just do it.



*I will support you in everything positive that you do-THIS means, dad and I will sacrifice all that we have to help you achieve your goal, BUT when you are parents, you must do this for your children as well..



There are more rules to my parenting, but you get the gist. Thankfully, we have only had a few challenges in parenting(they have been doozies) but nothing that as a family we couldnt get through. I think we all have to parent how it works for us and my rules dont work for everyone, but they work for us. To me, parenting is 1 of the most important things I will do in my life time. What I do now, can affect the future of 6 gifts that were entrusted to me. I do think of them as gifts(sometimes stinky, noisy, twerpy, sassy gifts, but gifts none the less..






So0, to Nicholas, Ashlee, Cassidy, Anthony, Dominic and Roman, Thanks for this journey and cant wait to see the wonderful future for all of you.. Momma and Daddy love you all

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mary.....You and Sal are an inspiration to many! I ask myself that same question......how do you two do it? Well over the years I have noticed that you do it because you have faith in yourselves and each other and your children! You guys are a rare family these days (and that is sad to say), not towards you, but that many families cannot stick it out and find the strength to stay together and find that "reason" you fell in love in the first place! You have both shown what it takes to be great parents and to raise great children in life! My kuddos to you both for doing it! May God have even more exciting journeys to come your way. Hugs.......

    ReplyDelete